Directors & Officers Duties (tailored)
This half day course is often conducted with boards of directors and other officers of the company. The course is designed to provide the participants with an overview of their role and obligations in relation to being a company officer and, in particular, being a director.
We use an interactive mix of theory and practice to reach course objectives.
Currently, this course is not a public seminar course. Rather, it aims to provide personnel of an organisation with a relevant and practical course tailored to the organisation's specific circumstances.
The course comprises 7 segments:
- What is a company?
- Governance and the role of the Board
- The company ‘players’ – ‘types’ of directors, the Chairman, officers
- Duties to whom?
- What duties?
- Trips and Traps
- The 10 Commandments
Training strategies include:
- Simulated interview;
- Group discussion and participation; and
- Provision of a manual.
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- explain what is meant by corporate legal personality;
- distinguish between different types of companies;
- describe the way a company is managed and controlled and explain the role of directors and shareholders;
- consider and explain the role of the Board;
- explain terms such as “governance”, ‘fiduciary”, “replaceable rules”;
- explain the relevance of culture to the legal obligations of a company;
- distinguish between the different types of company officers and explain terms such as “shadow director”, “alternate director”, executive and non-executive directors;
- explain to whom duties are owed by company officers;
- identify and explain the foundation duties owed by company officers;
- develop and implement strategies to enhance the governance of their company;
- identify situations which represent risk of non-compliance and liability to the company officers;
- identify divergent interests of directors, the company, employees and clients and develop strategies to address any conflicts arising from such interests;
- summarise the key findings in recent cases involving ASIC and company directors and officers; and
- explain ASIC's investigatory and enforcement powers under the Corporations Act and ASIC Act.
As with all of Compact’s courses, this course is designed to be highly interactive enabling participants to share their experiences, ask questions and consider practical responses to the day-to-day challenges of being a company director/officer.
A detailed manual is provided to each participant which contains helpful mindmaps which will provide practical assistance to company directors and officers in understanding the corporate and legal framework in which they are operating.
Where to now?
If you are interested in a Directors' & Officers' Duties Training Course, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Grant Holley or Paul Derham on +613 9670 8056.